Music and Fine Arts
At Bethany Christian School, your child will become much more than a musician, an actor, a singer or a dancer. We encourage and empower our students, regardless of level of experience or achievement, to participate in the joyful expression of the love of Jesus using the gifts of music and art.
Our students learn that we have a responsibility to share our talents as our gift to the Lord and to the world. To that end, we provide a learning environment that includes small class sizes, an excellent fine arts facility, and many group and individual performance opportunities throughout the academic year.
Our curriculum encompasses music of many genres, cultures and time periods, from the great composers and the most stately and solemn hymns, to the raucous, rock of modern praise and worship songs.
In addition to general music theory and history, grade-specific highlights of our music classes include:
- Kindergarten through second grade students learn the basics of rhythm, pitch and dynamics, as well as vocalization.
- Third grade students put music theory into practice using flutophones and group singing.
- Fourth grade students continue to hone their performance skills on recorders, as well as vocalization.
- Fifth grade students learn to play a band instrument and perform in our Christmas and spring concerts. Band is the capstone course in our elementary music program and incorporates a performance-centered approach. Our approach expands upon learned musical concepts, music theory, music history and ear training. Through consultation with the band director, students choose an instrument (flute, clarinet, alto saxophone, trumpet, trombone, snare drum, or bells) and participate in band rehearsals as well as instrument-specific instruction.
- Sixth through eighth grade students can choose from a variety of performance ensemble electives, including Worship Team and Performing Arts.
To learn more about our programs and introduce yourself, to arrange to visit us during worship at a Friday chapel, to sit in on one of our music classes or to schedule a tour, please call our office at (480) 752-8993 or email us at email@example.com.